As I said in my last post, I like to keep my make up super simple (read: I’m just useless at applying it). Especially when spring comes round – it’s all about that fresh faced look with a splash of colour or an all-nude palette. Strip that winter routine way back. All you need this SS13 are six key products to mix and match:
1. Light Blush. eg. Benefit Dandelion – Think a hint of a glow, that Disney Princess fresh rosy look. I swear by Benefit blushes anyway as they’re so light and last forever, but in spring go for their lightest shade, Dandelion. Swirl onto cheeks, forehead, nose and chin for a soft, sunlit look.
2. Concealer, eg. Nars Radian Creamy Concealer – Say goodbye to your foundation and let your spring skin shine by hiding imperfections only with a touch of concealer. Or if you’re super lucky and have none, then don’t even bother with this step!
3. Pastel Nail Polish, eg. Essie Mademoiselle – Nude, natural shades with a hint of grey were massive on the catwalks this season. Go for a flattering shade with a pinky base for fresh spring nails perfection.
4. Brow Gel, eg. MAC Brow Set – Instead of filling in your brows fully, try a brow gel to keep them natural but well groomed. I always find this gives a really youthful feel to any make up look. For a modern edge, brush upwards across the whole brow.
5. Fruity Perfume, eg. Hollister Addison – A light, fruity perfume can really improve your mood and give you a boost of that summery feel. I adore Hollister’s Addison perfume. It’s a bit pricey but I had to buy it when I tried it at the counter because it smells like lychees. Just one whiff and my world is sunshine and tropical fruits.
6. A Light Tan, eg. Xen Tan Dark Tanning Lotion – Ok, I know it’s called dark tanning lotion, but don’t be scared. This is the only self-tanning product I’ll use. It gives a really natural, weekend-away-in-the-sun tan. You can layer it up for a darker colour, but I find just one layer gives a really fresh, light colour.
7. Bright Lipstick, eg. Models Own Matt Hyper Brite Lipstick – A pop of colour with your lips is all you need for an instant confidence boost. I am in the process of accumulating a collection of lipsticks in every bright shade available, but at the moment I’m lusting after orange.
8. Liquid Eyeliner, eg. YSL Shocking Eyeliner – I love the 60s trend this season, and while it’s not really my style in terms of clothes, I’m channeling that 60s vibe through my make up. A flick of eyeliner is the perfect accompaniment to a bright lip. I have actually stopped wearing mascara – it’s so much quicker just to add a dash of eyeliner. I love this YSL one. It just glides on, and is a really deep black colour.